Monday, September 12, 2005

The Unknowns at Fort Gondo

The name of this show, The Unknowns, was appriate as the work was the raw result of unbridled youth. I say good for them. You must start somewhere, sometime and here and now is best. Mike Cook made interesting use of sand on acrylic. His work shows promise. The highlight of my evening was provided by another artist showing, Mario Viele. However, it was not so much his art but his music that I enjoyed. He is in a fantastic group called "The Sex Robots" which played after the show at Radio Cherokee.

This was my first visit to Fort Gondo. I really enjoyed it. It was kind of creepy and maybe that's why. It is in an older building with tall ceilings and plenty of light to review the artwork. It has a narrow courtyard on the side with benches and a small wooden box on which to sit. After briefly viewing the art, we stepped into the coolness of the courtyard. Leaning against the wall, Colleen became startled by a mouse which then scurred away. Fine, we scared off a mouse. I thought no more about it but Colleen was now on guard. She noticed the little creature was racing back and forth near the fence at the end of the courtyard, instead of hiding as any normal mouse would. I tryed to ignore it. Little did I know, it was working on a plan of attack. It came charging at me like a raging bull elephant. Of course I screamed and jumped a little. It backed off again but was not to be disuaded from passing through. I felt a little foolish for not being prepared for battle. Knowing it had the advantage of speed and unwilling to suffer even the smallest of mouse wounds, I stepped aside and let it pass. The little lady shot by us and into the wooden box which was sitting there. I assume that was her nest and we were in her way. When willing to risk everything, reguardless of the odds, persistance can win out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home