Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Art Outside Schlafly Bottle Works

Great place to catch local artists. Since I "collect" web sites for this directory, I was familiar with many of their works. It was nice to put a face to them.

This image is from the work of Debra Broz. Though some elements of the style seem familiar, the work has a very original feeling to it. There are many aspects of this which appeal to me. It is quiet, subtle and curious. Uniquely textured in a way such that time seems to have aged it. A little text to stir contemplation. Color which is relaxed enough to put one to sleep. In viewing, Debras artwork evokes a feeling of calm which is hard to come by these days.

There is also an interesting intellectual facet to her art. In this, I am referring to the work she has done with/to books. She sews them. Using needle, thread and machine, she has transforms them from something to read to something to consider as an object. Once again, curious, which is cool because it evokes thought. She also has another project stamping phrases on the pencils and calling it "art for the masses". Not as pretty but still interesting.

There was another photographer there I would like to mention, Wendy Werner. Travel photography providing images with good depth of scope and great latitude. Also a unique eye for color combination. One of the things I like most about her is she uses the same medium format camera as me, Mamiya 7 II. I wonder why her's work so much better than mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home