Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Urban Bluegrass Festival and Bohemian Artist Fair

Such a beautiful day it was. Cool breeze, sunny sky full of fluffy clouds. A day to lay around in the park by Soulard Market and listen to bluegrass music. A couple of Schlaflys to round things out. Was pleased to see some fellow folk-school students there to catching the music.
As this was the first for this fair, it was smaller with maybe not quite a dozen artists.
Though I have never had a chance to work with ceramics, I am interested in it. It seems to be a very versatile medium. So I took the opportunity to speak to ceramic artist, Sandy Miller. Wow, she shared so much information. Her work is gorgeous so I have no doubt she knows what she is talking about. We talked about cones and slips and all manner of things for which I have no clue. She suggested I take the course at Meramec Community College with Jim Ibur. I think she may be right. I just met James a few weeks ago at the Southwest Ceramics show and he almost talked me into taking the course then. I wish I knew enough about ceramics to describe Sandy's work in greater detail. Fortunately, Sandy is very forth coming with a description on her web site: http://www.millerceramics.com Her studio is at Phoenix Potteries.
Backing to Sandy's tent, was Noreen DeCastro, working in acrylic. This young painter is exploring monochromatic work with grays and also in black broken by bursts of color.
Across the way, Crystal Welch sat at a spinning wheel creating yarn from lama wool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home