Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Joseph James (Joe) Jones from Expressions of the 30's

The print class I took last summer required a paper on screen printing. Due to my interest in local artists, I decided find someone from Saint Louis famous for prints. This turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be. Not many famous print makers from Saint Louis. It took me about two hours with the Internet and Google before I selected Joe Jones. I submitted the paper without actually seeing any of his work first hand. This week I got the chance. His work is included in a show, "Expressions of the '30's" at the Saint Louis Artists' Guild.
During the 1930's, St Genevieve, Missouri, had an Artist Colony which was supported by the Saint Louis Artist Guild. Author, Scott Kerr, along with co author, R.H Dick, have written a book, "American Art Colony" which covers the work done there. This work has been gathered, much from private collections, and is on display until December 3rd. In discussing the show, Mr. Kerr described Joe Jones as "The Rogue", Joe Jones. Now I want to learn more about his character. There are some big names in this show but, none the less, my favorite painting was one done by Joe Jones, "Eads Bridge". This suggests my preferences during subjective review are be swayed by personal interest in spite of the fact I pride myself on objectivity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home