Monday, November 07, 2005

Sara Giannobile - Creative Impact

When visiting an art opening in a room full of strangers, how does one pick out the artist? The artist's name was "Sarah" and thus ruled out many of the men. I had met Alicia La Chance at her show in Atomic Cowboy so I knew it wasn't her. I settled on the lovely young pretty whose eyes danced with pride.
"Are you Sarah?"
A smile and a nod invited approach.
"Tell me about your art."
I knew immediately this was a clumsy thing to say. It wasn't even a question. It was a statement, vague beyond relevance. I tried to rephrase and we stumbled into conversation.
She told me she has recently moved to Saint Louis from western Missouri and that she strives to incorporate the rural elements of her past blended with urban concepts derived from our City.
Transition is represented through symbolic representation of doors. Something to do with dreams and elements of nature.
I admit limited understanding. I often have trouble with intellectual description of abstract visuals. I don't get it, but, I did ask for it, and, I will admit, when I think about it, the work does have an urban feel to it.
The work is indeed interesting, even beautiful. Large for paper, in enamel and oil. Bold in color but not screaming brightly. Different colors, working well together. Many, many layers developing deeply rich textures. Drawing is added, many small elements, some in repetition, some with very fine line. I haven't seen much like it so will venture to say it is original.
Two other types of work are presented: pen and ink on paper and ceramic with wood. Smaller than a bread box. The pen and ink is comprised of a multitude of very fine lines, mostly straight. Once again, unlike anything I have seen. The ceramic work includes fauna which is where aspects of nature are evident.

The food and wine provided by Sasha's was unbelievable.

Sarah Giannobile
November 4 - November 30th, 2005
Hoffman La Chance Fine Art Gallery
7533 Forsyth, Clayton MO
314 960 5322

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home