Monday, November 21, 2005

"Continued Colonies: The New Human Landscape"

I like any song I have never heard before and going places I have never been. Reason enough to go to "Paint with Paint" on Friday. "Continued Colonies: The New Human Landscape", featured emerging artists from both the St. Louis and Metro East region. A former paint factory warehouse was transformed into a showcase for their talents. The show was mostly student work from my old alma mater SIUE. (BS CS) Though the main space is huge, it was still filled as nearly twenty artists were involved. Mostly paint, some ceramics, embroidery on paper, sculpture as well several indefinable conceptions which apparently leaked from the confusion of the student mind. The complex has been developed by artist Tim Ayres, a most gracious host and all around fun guy. He and I share common interests: family, construction, photography and paint. When I told him I went to SIUE, he mentioned "The Mississippi River Festival" We were the only ones there old enough to know what it was.
The building aged gently, but with character. In some areas, more character than the art. Viewing art in this setting is different. It is naked of fine wall for display. One needs to focus from distraction. On the other hand, the distraction was great fun. We really enjoyed this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home